Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Cherry Limeade Theory

Jesus drinks Sonic cherry limeade in heaven during his chats with God. I am absolutely convinced of this.

There are three drinks that I could survive on for the rest of my life: water (necessary for existence), Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee (necessary for caffeine-infused functionality), and cherry limeade (necessary for happiness).

I literally plan my week at work around my Friday afternoon trip to Sonic just for cherry limeade. It is a little bit of a drive to get there so I have to eschew long lunches other days so that I will be able to indulge in my weekly Friday ritual. Some people look forward to the week for the chance to rest, relax, and recharge. I look forward to cherry limeade Friday. I encourage you all to do the same. I try to hit Happy Hour between 2-4PM to get it for 99 cents but I would gladly pay just about any amount for the heavenly goodness.

Still, there is a reason I only go to Sonic once per week. That is because I don't want to make it become pedestrian and normal. It's important to me that I look forward to the weekly cherry limeade. It is my sacred ritual and I enjoy even the anticipation of it. It really is the small pleasures in life that make the difference. I guess I just don't buy the phrase "there is no such thing as too much of a good thing." I am more of a "absence makes the heart grow fonder guy myself."

Maybe this is weird. I don't know and I don't care. Nothing will come between me and my cherry limeade. But only once a week. I won't dare overindulge for fear that cherry limeade would lose its luster and my Fridays would no longer worth having. As Fuel once taught us, "All that shimmers in this world is sure to fade." But not cherry limeade, not on my watch.

My questions are:

1) What are the things in your life that you treat like cherry limeade? What are the things that you like so much that you have to limit your exposure to it?

2) Does this theory like the other food theories apply to people? I tend to think that we don't follow this with people. In fact, we tend to do the opposite. If we really like hanging out with a friend, we tend to spend nearly all our time with them until we get utterly sick of the person and have to take a weeklong break or have a huge falling out ruining the friendship. If we really like hanging out with a person of the opposite sex, we end up marrying them and spend the rest of our lives with that person. So if we don't apply this theory to people why don't we?

2 comments:

Clayton Greene said...

I would call this John Veazey. I like to hang out with him. He can be funny, fun, entertaining and many other things but only for a certain amount of time. I have told him before there is a 3 day rule. I can't hang out with him for more than 3 days in a row. At the end of 3 days I want to punch him in the throat.

Many meals I ate growing up I love. But if I eat them as left overs many days in a row I can tired of them. Give them a break and then I am back to a love relationship once again.

Some people do this with roommates. They refuse to live with a friend because they don't want to ruin that friendship. They are applying the Cherry Limeade Theory. Did you already say this in the post?

Marriage. I think it is a beautiful thing when two people can overcome this. It is understanding, conversation, and love that allows overexposure to a person to be overcome. Acceptance and unconditional forgiveness found in marriage makes the cherry limeade take great everyday. You are able to see the surface "flavors" that could cause people to get tired of being around a person and then dig deeper and understand the whole person.

Marriage: I am an advocate.

Michael Williams said...

I am this way with movies and music. Particularly in the realm of films with my top 3 favorites (The Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, and Singin in the Rain). I can't watch these movies but once or twice every six months or so because I don't want to get burned out on them.

As far as people go, it takes a lot for me to really get tired of a friend but there are those times and most of the time it either takes being away for a day or months.