Saturday, April 4, 2009

Well I Guess We're all Just Friends

I was going to apologize that work got in the way of my midweek post, but I see I didn't miss much.

Clayton never responded to my questions.

To Brent, I can only this. I understood your theory. I never suggested that should rather that can was your theory. I instead suggested that the people agreeing with you were really agreeing because they believed that you shouldn't be friends with Opposites.

I had to come up with sometime because the can't theory was already refuted. As far as can't, I will again point to interfamily relationships as proof that you can be just friends with a member of the opposite sex if you have a reason to prevent romantic feelings from developing (ie they are your family member). The problem with the "can" aspect of relationships outside of family, is that many people don't think that being in a relationship with a significant other is a good enough reason to keep them from developing romantic feelings for another Opposite. That is the real problem that you theory addresses. People who are in relationships are by and large not strong enough to approach a friendship with another from a purely friend perspective. (Just like some family members aren't strong enough to do it.)

Brian my theory would be. 1) We can be friends with Opposites. Proven and reproven.

2) We should be friends with Opposites. The additional experiences and knowledge are not something we should lightly throw away. I am unwilling to accept that I can't control myself around Opposites and therefore should avoid friendships with them.

3) People in a committed romantic relationship should take precautions to avoid letting friendships with Opposites from becoming romantic. These precautions should usually be developed together by the two people in the relationship and can vary. There is no perfect way to do it.

4) If you have an occassional romantic thought about an Opposite, that is ok. But you cannot act on the thought if you are already in a romantic relationship and you need to take extra precautions with the Opposite that you have had a romantic thought about.

No comments: