Sunday, April 26, 2009

The De-Evolution of Modern Man (& Woman)

The unfortunate part about climbing a mountain is that inevitably you are going to have to come back down. You reach the top, enjoy the view for a while, and then begin the trek downward. Sometimes the journey down is pleasant, the terrain is smooth and gradual, and you arrive at the bottom relaxed and ready for another adventure. Other times the journey down is steep, rocky, and your toes are continually jammed into the front of your boots, causing immense discomfort and a sworn declaration to never go hiking again.

In this “theory,” I will argue that modern man has reached the top of the mountain, and while we may be enjoying the view at the moment, soon we’ll be heading back down. The trek downward will be gradual and seemingly pleasant, but I am afraid we will find ourselves once again at the bottom, exhausted and perhaps even less prepared, or able, to attempt another hike.

End analogy.

THEORY: Modern man, through advances in technology, inter-personal communication, and thought, has reached the pinnacle of its being. Having reached the summit of the mountain, modern man is now beginning a “downward trek” (hereto referred to as “de-evolution”) into a less developed (less-evolved) state of mind and being. Ironically, the very advances that have brought us to the top are now bringing us back down.

First, a note on my terminology:

“De-evolution” – I just like this term. I know it’s not scientifically correct, but this is more of a social theory anyway. Just go with it.

To support my theory, I offer 5 areas of modern development in which our advances are beginning to produce negative effects, and thus cause us to de-evolve. Areas 1 & 2 provided the basis for this theory, and areas 3-5 are supplemental evidence.


#1 Inter-personal Communication

Facebook, AIM, Email, Gmail Chat, Texting, Blogging – what do these technologies have in common? We all use at least one of them (if not all), and they are all means of communication that do not involve actual person-to-person contact. These technologies were designed to easily connect us with those around us. And they do. But at what expense? From my observation and experience, our generation’s growing dependence on technology as a means for inter-personal communication is having a negative effect on our ability to communicate in the “real world” (i.e. in person). Examples:

1. For a sociology project during my freshmen year at college, I stopped using AIM for a month and a half. Aside from feeling withdrawn from the world (how would I know what people are up to if I can’t read their away messages?), I noticed that others felt withdrawn from me. On more than one occasion, someone asked “Where have you been lately?” The reality was that I had physically been around just as much as before, I just wasn’t online. I guess my online presence was more powerful than my physical presence. Interesting.

2. I lead a Bible Study for high schoolers. These kids are addicted to texting. I have had more than one occasion in which they would text me or another leader and have an ENTIRE CONVERSATION via texting, but as soon as you called them or tried to talk to them in person, they went silent. Texting had made them uncomfortable (and dare I say unable?) to communicate outside of technology.

3. I’ve had other experiences where people (usually high school girls) who talk their brains out on AIM won’t talk to you in person. It’s like they’re completely different people.

#2 Freedom of Thought

The ability to think freely, rationally, and independently is a hallmark of a modern, developed society. I don’t have solid evidence for this, but its just common sense (right Andrew?). Look at American society today. Open mindedness has come to be characteristic of those we see as intelligent, socially aware, advanced, etc. We like people who think for themselves and who can respect what others think. But there’s a point where being open minded becomes a problem. The biggest example of this I see is the loosening of what is deemed “right” and “wrong.” We live in an increasingly morally relativistic society in which right and wrong, good and bad, is slowly becoming a thing of the past. If you truly hold to a rigid system of right and wrong, then you are seen as close-minded, and thus looked down upon.

I would argue that a belief in right and wrong, good and bad, is what has helped move mankind onward. Without these systems in place, there would be no structure, no organization, and thus no society.

In the name of independence and freedom of thought, the very things that have made us into a modern and developed society will bring us back to a prehistoric mentality. We’ll all be cavemen again! I recognize that this is an extreme conclusion, but if you think about the logical conclusion of such free thinking and how it will affect our social structure, you may begin to see my point.

#3 Mobility

This falls under the broader category of technological advancement (as does interpersonal communication). Again, I have a couple examples of modern technologies that, while serving a beneficial purpose, also produce negative effects on mankind that will hurt us in the long run.

1. Elevators and escalators. We all use them. They’re an easy way to get to the 30th floor, or the 2nd if you’re that person that everyone on the elevator hates because you were too lazy to take the stairs. Or if you’ve been to an airport or amusement park with the moving walkways. Just get on, stand, and ride along – it’ll take you longer, but hey, its convenient! All of this is useful technology, but at what expense? Physical fitness. Yes, I know that walking up stairs is not the only means of physical activity in ones day, but its that much less than you would be getting. Think WALL-E. All those people floating around in their own personal hovercrafts. What happened to them? They’re all fat (not to mention they don’t know how to communicate with one another due to their dependence on computer screens as a primary form of communication).

2. Cars. Another great invention. Not knocking cars. But we’re getting less exercise. I drive to my gym, which is really only a 15 minute walk from my house. Why? Because I have the convenience and availability of a car.

Cars and elevators aren’t going to bring about the downfall of mankind, but in the long run, as we continue to have similar technological developments, they could end up doing more harm than good. Lets hope we don’t end up like the people in WALL-E.

#4 Dwelling

I live in a townhouse, literally attached to the people who live next to me. Everyone in my neighborhood is attached to someone else. But I’ve noticed something – no one seems to know one another! This is ironic, given that living closer would seem to increase the number of relationships you have with those around you. But on my street, at least, this doesn’t happen. (Or maybe it’s just me?) Could this be a trend in other close communities? Houses and neighborhoods are being built closer and closer to one another – but what about the person-to-person relationships? They seem to be weakening. See #1 above.

#5 Prescription Drugs

There are lots of amazing medical developments happening these days, not the least of which is the development of a drug for absolutely every condition that a human body can possibly develop. Do you breathe at night? There’s a drug to help you breathe better. Do you have pain in your joints? Drug for that. Do you have trouble keeping your legs still? Drug for that. Do you have snot in your nose? Drug for that. Does your CURRENT prescription medication not do enough? Well take another one.

There’s a drug for EVERYTHING, and what is disturbing is an apparent increase in the risk of serious side effects of these drugs. Listen to any prescription medication commercial. Side effects range from drowsiness, heart burn, digestive problems, erectile dysfunction, migraine, dry mouth, restlessness, difficulty breathing, joint pain and even death.

Is it worth it? The human body is already equipped to fight off disease and heal itself. With all the new drugs coming out, we’re not allowing the body to do its work. Yes, there’s a need for medication – but when do we stop and just our evolutionary heritage work for us? I’m afraid the advancements in medical technology and prescription drugs will certainly be adding years to our life, but given the negative effects of many other “developments” (medications included), I wonder what kind of life will be in these years.


I am well aware that I have not outlined the most thorough or convincing argument. I can see how it would be easy to get caught up in my examples and even some of the wording I used. My examples were not scientific and they were in large part from my own (subjective!) experience. I have drawn some extreme conclusions. Many correlations can be drawn, but the fact is that correlation does not imply causality, and there are many other factors that may contribute to some of the negative effects I have discussed.

But there is some truth to what I am saying.

The ability to effectively communicate with others, a system and belief in right and wrong, physical fitness, personal relationships, and good health, among other things – all of these are things that have brought mankind into modernity. I am afraid, however, that the very things that have allowed us to become who we are will eventually bring us back to a point at which we don’t want to be. I fear for the day when people no longer are able (or have a need) to communicate in real person-person contact, hold someone accountable for their actions, get around without their own personal hovercraft (I know, extreme), develop meaningful relationships, or live without the assistance of drugs and medical technologies. What kind of life would we be living?

So here are some questions to ponder:

- Do you believe there is a point where mankind can no longer advance?

- What other advancements in our modern world could potentially produce negative effects on mankind? At what point do the cons outweigh the pros?

- How can we counteract these negative effects, and thus still enjoy the convenience and usefulness of new developments in thought and technology?

- What other factors could be contributing to the negative examples I mentioned?

- When will Jesus come back and finally save us from our own self-destruction?

Discuss, disagree, counter-argue, complain, get angry, agree. Share your thoughts, before we’re unable to do so any more.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I tend to agree with your theory. I teach 3-4 year old preschoolers who are already well trained on playing computer and Wii games. When they come to preschool they have already lost creativity and imagination. When I was young we used anything outside to create an imagined scenario for play (sticks for swords, leaves for plates, etc). Now when my 4 year olds are asked to play in the "restaurant" they tell me that they can't because there is no kitchen, no real food, and no real pads of paper to write on. If children have lost so much imagination and creativity at a young age, what will happen in 20 years when we need engineers and artists?

Aaron said...

Disclaimer: I'm not good with words.

I agree with most everything you have said. I think that we are becoming overstimulated from all of our technology. I think it is too easy to move from internet to tv to ipod, etc. without taking any time to think about what is going on. I find it hard to think through an idea when I am near a computer, because it is easier to move on to some other form of entertainment than to put my thoughts in order. (From a Christian standpoint, this has a negative effect on our relationship with God, because of our lack of quiet time. How can you listen for an answer from God when you're rocking out to the Red Hot Chili Peppers? - JD Greear talks about that in a blog post)

I also think the way America is set up is bad for man- (or woman-) powered transportation. A lot of people don't live within biking/walking distance of grocery stores and such. Our technology dependence is making us fatter and, in many ways, dumber.

Chad said...

I know that B-Ho wrote this because of his style and the eventual clue of the townhouse dwelling. But in the future, let's put some last names on this. I have to use my computer so I am too dumb to figure it out.

Brian, I think your thoughts are mostly on-point. However, I don't think that most of these are universal problems. The fact that a person is unhealthy, bad at relationships, and dumb is still primarily determined by that person's experience and actions. Sure, technology makes this path easier, but there are still plenty of people who are "advancing" in the human evolutionary project.
Let's go point-by-point:

1) I think this is probably the most important part of your post. The speed that techno-munication has grown is alarming. AIM was new in my middle school days. A mere decade later, people can chat, text, email, and talk on the phone all from a single iPhone. I don't really see this trend stopping; each new technology is picked up rapidly by the public. Think of the AIM to myspace to facebook to twitter phenomenon. It's just crazy. However, those people who use these technologies and don't talk in real life are probably the counter parts of the recluses in yesteryear. So while techno-munication is rampant, it is used by those individuals who both succeed and fail at real life communication.

2) I believe this point also has some half-truths to it. Mainstream morals are definitely loosening, but mainly in areas that only affect the individual and not others. So, while the opinion on the morals of smoking weed or getting extremely drunk or random hook-ups may be changing, the views on those things which hurt others aren't. The vast majority of Americans would probably say cold-blooded murder is wrong, as well as rape, theft, eye gouging, etc. I doubt that society will ever degenerate into a pack of zombies where there is absolutely no respect for human life or dignity.

3) You can go to any gym around America and find that a good number of treadmills are being used. Athletes today are getting stronger than ever and each new year old records are being shattered (Beijing 2008?) So, while Joe Schmoe's health declines as he drives around in his Honda, many people are still very in tune with their health. Trust me; they all come into Starbucks and order Soy Chai lattes. Dirty hippies.

4) This is definitely true, although it probably changes with generational lines. My family knew (and still knows) my neighbors in the houses I grew up in. Since us 20-somethings are always in a "transition" state, we don't have the settle-down mindset. Once we get older and married and have real jobs and kids, I imagine most of us will move to a nice subdivision with other people of the same skin color and have dinners with them while the kids play on the swingset.

5) The human body is designed to die. No matter how good healthcare becomes, it will never win. Each problem that is solved is replaced with another disease.

B-Ho said...

Chad, you make excellent points. I'll respond in my mid-week repost.

I'd like to hear some other counter-arguments that shed light on some of the trends that seem to be developing in our generation. What I've outlined definitely isn't the full reason for a lot of what we see - so what else is to blame?

Clayton Greene said...

What if it's not a direct regression that can't be stopped. Could it be that gaining in strength in one area ultimately leads to a loss of ability in another/opposite.

So efficiency in one area could inevitably lead to complacency and worse performance in other.

Thinking in this way it is your/a person's/a societies choice as to what the priority is. That priority will shift and bend. As one strength gains and gains another others fall someone will eventually call for a resurgence of the lost art (i.e. personal face to face communication)

Kristopher Norris said...

Have you seen the movie "Idiocracy" with Luke Wilson. He is an avergae Joe-"plumber" in 2000 who gets frozen in a military experiment and wakes up in 2500, where he is nwo the "smartest person on the planet," and the only who can articulate a complete sentence. Perhaps this movie is proof of your theory? Hmmm...

2 points-

1. This proves that Twitter is the anti-Christ.

2. I think you are onto something here, generally, but probably not as apocalyptically as you indicate here. And you know I would have plenty of comments about your final question of when Jesus is coming back to save us from our self-destruction. We can talk about good and poor theories of eschatology sometime when you get a chance.