Sunday, June 28, 2009

Chewing Gum Communism

So I am back in the classroom on campus. I always need chewing gum to keep my breath fresh and it always keeps me awake. Chewing gum is almost a necessity. AND, most people love it.

There is an interesting occurrence with gum. When you take it out of your bag, your pocket, or your purse you are granting all those around you access to gum as well. Most people will ask for a piece; a request you can never deny. It is also often a situation where a courteous offer of gum is expected. However, gum does cost money. But everyone treats it like chewing gum is a community item. So, what about a 12 pack of soft drinks? Are those community items too?

1 comment:

Birdman said...

I think that gum is often considered communal due to it's "near free" value. Personally I do not chew and so I had to ask my wife for the average price of a pack of gum and she said 1$. I assume that there are 10 pieces per pack which means to deny a fellow man a stick of gum would be denying him 10 cents. Only a very cheap bugger could do that. However when does the price become too high? I also think that giving and receiving is sometimes dependent on the closeness of the relationship. Due to an introverted nature or pure selfishness one may be less likely to offer gum to a complete stranger. From The biological perspective there is always the tit for tat scenario where I give you gum in the hopes that one day when I am in desperate need for some mouth freshning you will come to my aid with an assortment of juicy big red winterfresh gum.