Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Candy Bars and First Impressions.

A lie or the best foot forward?

I recently had a kit-kat. They are delicious. Also, it came from my lovely wife as a gift for valentines day.

This is what got me thinking... I would take the first bit of the kit-kat and it was amazing. Half way through I would be satisfied and think that I could just eat one and be satisfied. Then when the last bit hit my lips I couldn't help but want one more. I started to develop this theory; the outside/edge of a candy bar is always the best.

So the next night I did some research. I ate a kit-kat. Ends first! That's right, I took my first bit and then flipped it around and took out the opposite end before finishing the middle. Amazing results. I ate just one.

This is what I think happened. The middle of the bar is good, but not too good. Not, addictive good. I have learned how to beat the system.

Another example. Resses. The best part is the outer edge that has a high ratio of chocolate to peanut butter. The edge is the best part. I know what you are thinking. Chocolate is better than peanut butter, it's not the edge it is what is on the edge. And to that I say exactly! These people know exactly what we want and they give it to us at the beginning and at the end.

This got me thinking. Is this putting the best foot forward or is it a lie? Why are they covering up who they really are or are they just trying to have people see what is great about them so they can enjoy. Either way it is good marketing for candy bars.


Lessons learned: First impressions count and the end has to be great as well.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Brent Woodcox said...

You need to get on these new mini-Reese's. Try to eat just one handful. Not happening. Every time I have one, I want to kill a whole bag of those jokers.

Anonymous said...

Clayton, this is why you're a killer first impressions leader. You understand the "why" behind the "what," and recognize that we're the architects of the experience. Great post!