Monday, May 4, 2009

Electronic Community

The argument: In an age when commercial advertisements and social networking sites remind us daily of our need to be more connected to each other, I believe, and have for quite some time now, that electronic communication and social-networking sites are creating bad social habits and ruining our understanding of community (what we reveal and what we expect). I will divide this argument into two posts. In this post I will briefly address the use of cell phones, and I will discuss some negative side of social networking sites.

First, let me say this. I know firsthand that having my Blackberry (with its e-mail and internet) is convenient and helpful; I admit I mildly enjoy posting silly Facebook statuses (like AIM away messages) for people to see; and I know Gmail-chat/video and other “connecting” technological advances are excellent ways to stay in touch with one’s family and friends. In other words, I'm not Kathy Bates in "Waterboy" arguing that technology or electronic communication, like foosball or Benjamin Franklin, are the Devil. I simply think we have to question our use and abuse of electronic communication and social networking sites, that’s it.

What originally sparked the idea for this post was my disdain for Twitter (i.e. Satan). Five months ago you would’ve thought Twitter was a new dance, sort of like the Stanky Leg (YouTube it when you can), but it’s everywhere now, and it, along with Facebook, is continuously changing what people do with their time and how they interact with other people in a virtual world. But before I can even discuss social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook, I’d like to briefly discuss a device we all use – the cell phone.

As stated a moment ago, I appreciate the convenience of cell phones. It makes my life easier, that’s for sure. The problem is not cell phones, though, but how we let them (and the features that come with them – text messaging, internet, e-mail, etc.) distort how we go about as embodied people, particularly how they take priority over the people who immediately surround us sometimes. I know I’m guilty of doing this, ignoring my friends for the sake of a text message or a CNN browse, and if you don’t share my guilt you’ve at least witnessed similar situations. We’ve all seen the group of friends “hanging together” but all on the phone with someone not with them. We’ve been behind the man or woman in the grocery line, so involved in a conversation or text message that he or she barely acknowledges the person bagging the groceries. Or we’ve watched a friend neglect the group conversation for minutes on end to peruse Facebook or Twitter on their Blackberries or iPhones, with us bodily but not present mentally. We treat cell phones like people, and we treat people like products. Brian alluded to this behavior in his discussion of high school teenagers, but the problem is not just a teenage issue, but one we adults need to address. While we embrace the new technological landscape and all the convenience it offers, it calls for a new etiquette – one that doesn't seem to be in place yet, one that makes people around us a greater priority than our need to be connected to our cell phones at all times.

Moving on.

Social networking sites are the Devil…

Well, not exactly, but there’s some odd stuff taking place.

You’ve experienced it before. You click on your friends’ status updates, scroll through a few funny ones – “Clayton Greene never filters” or “Brian Turney is not bathing this week” – only to come across one that says “I feel so lost, alone, and I want to die” or “Why did my girlfriend have to break my heart into little, bitty pieces.” If you know the person at all it might cross your mind to send them a message or write something encouraging, for lack of a better word, on their wall. Usually, though, you ignore it, and you keep scrolling down your friends list until you see another status to giggle at, perhaps one that says, “Billy Hoffman breaks hearts like Chuck Norris breaks knees.”

The main concern isn’t necessarily one’s reaction to people’s heart-wrenching status updates (though we will get to that), but what it says about a culture that makes it acceptable for one to express one’s emotional anguish to “friends” via the internet, people they may have met once or barely talk to anymore. In real life, I wouldn’t normally tell Joe who sits beside me in New Testament the pain I feel from my breakup. Hell, I barely know his last name. And I wouldn’t walk into a room of strangers and blurt out my fears, frustrations, and life concerns for all to hear. That’d be too much information – in real life. Somehow, though, because we feel a connection to our electronic social networks and have tons of “friends” on Facebook and Twitter, respectively, we think it appropriate to say whatever we want and whenever we want, with little regard to filtering or questioning our online confession tendencies. We let go of our inhibitions, those that usually tell us, “Hey, you should probably only tell this to your close friends who care,” and we let loose like a drunk frat boy at a tailgate party. But why would we restrain ourselves? After all, we get to vent publicly (proving how transparent we are, right?) and in turn we get an “I like this” on our Facebook walls. We let our electronic community know our business, though they may know very little about our life or our situation, and in the process we seek comfort in the internet before the people we see and talk to regularly. (Note: this may be a far-fetched idea for us, but I think it's true for lots of people, especially teenagers who've never known a world without cell phones, internet, etc.)

This isn't to say one can’t read a Facebook or Twitter status, have sympathy, and actually make a difference. A few weeks ago, for instance, Demi Moore helped stop a woman from killing herself, a woman who expressed her desire to commit suicide via a Twitter tweet. While I applaud Moore for taking the time to alert authorities, again, one wonders what sort of society we’ve created when someone feels more comfortable expressing suicidal thoughts to a Hollywood celebrity – in 140 characters or less – rather than one’s neighbor, coworker, or the mailman. A recent study by the University of Southern California, though, revealed that perhaps even Moore’s Twitter-compassion might eventually stop. According to the study, getting updates via Twitter (and Facebook) could numb our sense of morality and make us indifferent to human suffering. The findings show that the “streams of information provided by social networking sites are too fast for the brain’s ‘moral compass’ to process and could harm young people’s emotional development.” Researcher Mary Helen Yang said, “If things are happening too fast, you may not ever fully experiences emotions about other people’s psychological states and that would have implications for morality.” In other words, Twitter will eventually lead to cold, immoral, heartless people. Watch out.

Those are the main thoughts for now. I'm sure I've generalized and haven't added quite enough points, but if there are response we can work on it. In the next post I will discuss how Twitter and Facebook, like cell phones, create an environment that makes it difficult for us to ever be alone, and how we must always be in the know, even if it’s reading someone's one-line Twitter update.

6 comments:

B-Ho said...

In summary: We're de-evolving.

But really. You are right on with this - I wish I could have articulated this well in my own theory, but the ideas you express here definitely formed the basis of my theory.

Question to consider: Why do we feel more comfortable expressing ourselves via social networking sites, instead of person to person. I'd argue that while we've always had a need to know and be known, social networking sites have provided a way for us to do this without the pain or awkwardness that real relationships require at times. We feel oddly (and I'd say subconsciously) connected to others after posting our daily schedule or recent breakup online. By feeling connected, we gain validation, and thus self-worth. I didn't articulate this well - maybe you can add thoughts.

Interesting note about how social networking numbs our senses - good observation. Glad you cited it.

"While I applaud Moore for taking the time to alert authorities, again, one wonders what sort of society we’ve created when someone feels more comfortable expressing suicidal thoughts to a Hollywood celebrity – in 140 characters or less – rather than one’s neighbor, coworker, or the mailman."

Another excellent point. Excellent post.

Lets get lunch and discuss this. Or you can text or Facebook me - same thing.

PS - You totally stole my "from the Devil" quotes. I've always said social networking (mainly Facebook) is from the devil.

CBF Summer Ministry Interns said...

While I think Twitter is Satan, I don't really think all social networking sites are from hell (like you've always thought, Brian...maybe you're a Luddite.) I use 'em and I think they have many benefits. Like I said, we have to consider what we use them for and how it reshapes how we interact with each other.

B-Ho said...

Just because we use them doesn't mean they're not from the Devil. We're all sinners AJ.

Brian T. said...

AJ, I didn't really read what you had to say. However I did notice your funny comment about me - nice - and I saw you hating on Twitter. Rather than argue with you, I will let one of the foremost scholars and philosophers of our day do the talking for me:

"Years from now, when historians reflect on the time we are currently living in, the names Biz Stone and Evan Williams will be referenced side by side with the likes of Samuel Morse, Alexander Graham Bell, Guglielmo Marconi, Philo Farnsworth, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs — because the creation of Twitter by Stone, 35 (right), Williams, 37, and Jack Dorsey, 32 (not pictured), is as significant and paradigm-shifting as the invention of Morse code, the telephone, radio, television or the personal computer.

In a sea of Web 2.0 technologies, Twitter — the microblogging service that restricts each entry, or tweet, to 140 characters — has managed to transcend basic instant messaging and social networking. It is a new and completely original form of communication that has gained worldwide adoption and captured the imaginations of people at every level of media interest or influence.

For someone like me who lives in a construct of filtered communication — packaged and polished by the industry that employs me — Twitter has become a new instrument for expressing myself and accessing cultural trends, opinions and information. Twitter is my front door to the Internet and my medium for sharing the content I create while advocating for the causes close to my heart and investing in the connections I want to have with people from all walks of life.

I believe that Twitter is a stage for humanity and connection, not the triumph of technology. Right now the word revolution is spelled with 140 characters."

-ashton kucher

B-Ho said...

And after reading this quote in history class, the teacher and all the students will laugh, because they'll realize it's Ashton Kutcher who said it.

Clayton Greene said...

Note: ashton kucher's comment was much more than 140 words.

Do you think our grandparents thought our parents were crazy when they were using the telephone so much. "Kids that is killing personal communication."

Progress.