Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Two Quarterback Theory

So let me interrupt this symphony of crickets to insert a bit of knowledge. I doubt that this post will be quite as controversial as my last, but then again, what could be?

Also, this one in comparison is short and sweet.

The two quarterback theory goes like this and I will try to explain it in such a way that you will only need an elementary knowledge of football in order to understand it.

On a football team, the starting quarterback is seen as a leader of the team by virtue of his position. Sometimes, a football team will have two players of similar talents both competing for the one starting job. The coach cannot decide which player gives his team the best chance at success and so he waffles back and forth starting one player in the first game and starting the other in the second. This causes all kinds of problems with the team because the players don't know who to look to as the true leader. It also causes problems for the quarterbacks becasue it shatters their confidence each time they fail and are pulled out of the lineup to make room for the other to steal the job. Mostly, it causes problems for the coach who looks indecisive, is kept up late at night suffering anxiety from the situation, always feels like if the team loses the other quarterback might have been the better choice, and likely ends up losing his job over the whole thing.

(For a football example, just look at UNC football last year. Both T.J. Yates and Cam Sexton are very good quarterbacks capable of leading our team to wins. However, the team was consistently better when it was clear who the quarterback was. When Yates was playing well and holding down the starting job, the team won. When Yates was hurt and Sexton came in to start, the team won. When we had a controversy after Yates returned but was not back to form, the team lost and the season was ultimately lost.)

How does this theory apply to life?

You can't have two things at once. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. You can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

You just can't.

The most obvious example of the theory finding an application in my view is in dating choices. If I am simulatenously interested in two girls and can't decide which to pursue, then it is better for me to pursue neither than to try to pursue both. Inevitably, I will compare one to the other, feel like when I am spending time with the one I might really like the other better and vice versa. Ultimately, I will end up being unfair to one or both. I'll be mean. I'll be insensitive. I'll screw it up with both. And everyone will have been better off if I had just not tried anything at all. So don't pursue two girls at the same time, particularly if they are roommates. (Note to self. Don't do that anymore.)

I'm sure there are many other areas of life where this theory plays itself out. (i.e. when comparing two potential job opportunities, or two possible homes to buy, or two churches to get involved with.) Forget one. Two is the loneliest number. Or maybe, counting you, three's a crowd. Either way, bad idea.

OK. So there you have it. Disagree. Find situations in which the theory doesn't apply. Go.

Hold on.

One other thing. Just so you know, Jesus is on my side.

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." Jesus (Matthew 6:24)

Alright. Now go.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I will comment. So I dont dispute the whole 2 quarterback principle, atleast not at this point. I should probably think about it a little more because generally we disagree on most things...I do have a question. So when presented with 2 options, you suggested through your girl example, that you should pick neither. However do you always think not picking one of the two options is always the best idea? This is where I could potentially disagree with you. (I totally think Butch should have just left Cam Sexton in the rest of the season!)

Clayton Greene said...

Two jobs? You have the ability to market yourself for more money. I think the difference here is both the options need/want you and are willing to fight for you.

Okay. So I guess that could make some employers upset and they could not offer you a job because you were doing this. But still, some situations could help. Like LeBron. New York? Cleveland? More money.

I like the theory though.