Thursday, March 19, 2009

Athletic Theory Update

Thank you for your comments so far. I have a couple responses and then I'll turn it back over to you to make more comments if you wish.
Brent makes a good point. Being the nationalist that I am I guess I just assumed you would think I was talking about American 18 yr olds. So yes, I should change my theory to mean the average "American" 18 year old male. In fact, I would bet that those of us in the south probably score higher on BMI tests than others with our deep fried foods and biscuits. (Have I mentioned I miss Bojangles?) Anyway, thank you for clarifying this.
Andrew also makesa a good comment and a very interesting news post. Pulling from Vz's comment, the article did not mention wisdom, and I do think I am more wise now than when I was 18. Like Eddie said, I am in no way a better basketball player than I was at age 22, or maybe even 18. But I am a bit wiser in the way I play. I know my limits and do not try as many stupid things. This counts some toward athleticism in Andrew's account. However, the speed of cognition item, which the article says decreases at age 27 is disconcerting. Perhaps this cancels out the wisdom aspect - which in the end still leaves us with the original theory in place.
I appreciate the comments. Keep them coming.

1 comment:

CBF Summer Ministry Interns said...

In light of this week's conversation, I heard Jay Bilas say this during the Nova/UCLA game:

"This is kind of like a game where UCLA has come to a Philadelphia playground, and they're playing against a bunch of 30 year-old men, former ball players that know how to play and they're just taking them to the woodshed and schooling."

With this analogy, he doesn't seem to agree with Andrew's mental deterioration argument.