Monday, March 2, 2009

Twix ReMix

I appreciate all the responses; keep them coming! Collaboration is key to the process of providing solid theories that work. There won't always be a mid-week post, but if necessary they will appear. I think that enough questions have been raised that it will best facilitate discussion if I post a revision.

First off, thanks to Skyler for the “that’s what she said.” That always makes things better when it is put in the right place at the right time. That’s also what she said.
Amy, I appreciate your commenting on the unhealthiness of Twix but I can’t find anything that applies here. Good thoughts though. Things like this should always be brought up and discussed.
I do want to take the rest of this post to discuss the issue with Twix people. As I was writing up the theory and discussing it with Kristen we did note that it would be sad if there were actually Twix people (see first Twix post and point 3 at the bottom). I think that both Laurie and Brian have given good input to help the theory be more accurate and appropriate for understanding people and relationships.

“You will share natural chemistry with some people and will simply enjoy the company of others. That's simple personality. I don't think we can label specific people as "Twix people" categorically. To some, you might be a Twix person; to others, you're absolutely indispensable.” -Laurie Beck Hogan

“…labeling someone a Twix is subjective. They may be a Twix to you, but not to someone else.” -Brian Turney
For some groups of people it seems you can be a Twix, but you probably aren’t a Twix to everyone. Kristen mentioned yesterday that she thinks she is a Twix, when we all know that she is my heath-bar-oreo-reeses-pieces-milkshake! So for application to people maybe the Twix Theory is regional. I think that we have established that in NC, Twix is not anyone’s favorite candy bar (unless you prove me wrong). But maybe the great people over in LA think Twix is the best thing since Chad Hines. This is an explanation that would serve to clear up bad feelings about one person being a Twix to all people. To be clear, each region that feels differently about Twix represents a different group of friends that may see you as fitting in their life as a NC Twix (non-favorite, but good) or a LA Twix (baller rockstar candybar). So you might be a NC Twix to me but someone else might think you are the Twix of the west coast.

So that was my attempt to reconcile the Twix person issue. I greatly appreciate the input and hope that there is more to come. I will continue to revise and repost as the week goes on. If there is another influx of comments I will post another mid-week response to help the discussion move along.
I’ll give another example to try to explore the diversity that Brent mentions and to apply the Twix Theory in another realm other than people. Home Improvement is a Twix TV show. Everyone likes it, and will watch an episode here and there but does anyone you know own the dvd series? Do you DVR it? I think this is another example of how the Twix theory can be used. Please help me come up with other applications and Brent could you provide us with one of better examples that have been mentioned in the past?

Please continue to respond through comments. Help me think of other foods that might fit better. For us here in NC the Twix applies, but I would love to know what the “Twix” cheese is in Wisconsin?
Final Comments
1. Does any one absolutely love Twix as their favorite?
a. Peanut butter twix is a different candy bar and does not apply to the Twix Theory.
2. Original Twix debuted in the US in 1979 and the peanut butter version shortly followed in 1983. However, it was only available until 1997; only to make a permanent return in 2000.

21 comments:

Brent Woodcox said...

I'll provide a few examples. But as has been established, people can feel differently. It really just applies to you. So I'll just say these under the theory as I understand it. ("No one's favorite but no one hates it")

1. Bowling is a Twix activity. I'm not gonna sit around and be like, "Man, I really want to go bowling." But if someone suggests, I'll probably go and have a reasonably good time. It just would never be a first option.

2. VW Jetta is a Twix car. I would never say I hate the Jetta. Just not a very exciting ride. If I was 16 and my parents gave me a Jetta, I would be psyched. Still I would never go out looking for one for myself.

3. Jude Law is a Twix actor. I can't think of any movie that Jude Law has been in that I would say I didn't like his acting. But he's not my favorite actor and if I hear a new movie has Jude Law in it, it's not like I'm marking it on my calendar.

Everyone feel free to critique my examples or offer your own.

B-Ho said...

Wrong Brian. B-Ho was the one who agreed with Laurie. Maybe I'll start posting as B-Ho. I'll continue reading now.

ehasty said...

i was thinking that there HAS to be a covered dish food that would fit this theory. I don't know about other places, but at least in the south, almost every covered dish supper has either macaroni & cheese or potato salad. especially at church gatherings

i'm pretty sure that i have never drooled over potato salad, but it always tends to be on my plate. it's usually the last thing that i finish eating as well.

1. easy to make
2. it's nobody's favorite food (unless your a 4 year old boy who loves macaroni--i think we are talking about adults here)
3. experimental evidence is that if you go back for seconds or thirds, you have to get a really small portion because there isn't much left.
4. easy-mac is microwavable. but i'm pretty sure that college students eat it only when they are hungry after 11:00 pm and there is nothing else to eat.

this comment is open to rejection
other options: PB&J

JDVz said...

Brent - have you ever ridden in the back of a Jetta, not a very enjoyable experience.

Anonymous said...

3 questions...

1. After a night of drinking does a Twix girl turn into a Snickers girl?

2. Re: the term beer goggles...Is it that a guys hook up with girls at the bars because they have poor judgment as to the attractiveness of a particular female, or is it that he meets a girl who is normally a Twix girl, but after a guy has a few drinks appears to be a Snickers girl? If so the name should be changed to Snicker's goggles. Or...Maybe he's just hungry and any candy bar will do

3. If I were to have a six pack of Miller Lite and then eat a Twix bar, would it taste like a Snickers?????

P.S. I think Cheese Twix would be gross

B-Ho said...

For once, Google has failed me. Apparently there has been no national survey that asks people's favorite candy bar. I was hoping to comment with some spiffy statistics that would bring further enlightenment to this theory. But apparently there is none.

Question: What do you make of the different varieties of Twix? Over the years there have been many. Peanut Butter. Cookies n' Cream. Chocolate Fudge. Choc n' Orange (oh yes). Twix King Size. Twix Ice Cream Bars. Twix miniatures.

Are there different varieties of Twix people? And of the varieties that are no longer on the market...what does that say about natural selection? Have we caused some types of people to be extinct?

- Bho

Jenna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenna said...

I have put some thought into this, and I am ready to claim that I am pretty sure that Twix is either my favorite or at least consistently in the top 3 of my favorite candy bars. Others include Snickers, PayDay, and Hershey's with almonds. Of course I wouldn't choose a Twix every single time I'm buying a candy bar, but I am always satisfied with a Twix and I always want another one after the first (that's what she said). I would be honored to be a Twix person.

Birdman said...

In response to Mr. Hasty I completely agree with the potato salad and macaroni, however I would have to respectfully disagree with the PB and J. As a grown man that still packs his lunch, like a 5th grader on a field trip, I often pack a PBJ sandwich. To me a PBJ never gets old, and I'm pretty sure I could eat it every day.

Kristen said...

Eddie, I have to disagree with potato salad. Especially if it's made by little old church ladies who can cook. Actually, I think potato salad probably has its own theory, because when it's good, it's really good, and when it's bad, it's absolutely horrible and makes me want to ralph.

Kristopher Norris said...

i second the potato salad objection, but then i am mayonaise intolerant. for the pot luck, my "twix" is sliced ham or turkey. everyone really wants that fried chicken, but we all pick up a piece or two of sliced ham or turkey on the way through the line.

in other news, i believe that "my heath-orec-reeses pieces-etc-etc milkshake" might just be the worst pet name i have ever heard. please use such nomenclature on your own time and never on public blogs.

Amy said...

Kristen, I love potato salad too. It is definitely not a Twix food (to me!) But Eddie I am in complete agreement with mac and cheese.
Here is a list of things I think could potentially qualify as "Twix foods". Oatmeal creme pies, red apples, honey nut cheerios, apple juice, and doritos!

Another possible Twix spin off would be Twix actresses. There's plenty of them that I could live without, but if they make another chick flick, I'd watch it.

ehasty said...

kris: in objection to your ham/turkey proposal. they are a huge part of the American Christian traditions called Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. in fact, i consider it sacrilegious that you call ham/turkey your "twix." also if there is turkey involved, in Vultare there is a necessary implication that there would be gravy present as well. turkey with gravy is a whole different ball game. okay, so maybe at a covered dish that isn't in temporal proximity to a holiday. but you should clarify.

anybody buy vanilla ice cream to fit this theory?

ehasty said...

amy: i am offended by your DORITOS comment. i am severely disappointed in your taste of chips. they are by far my favorite chip. the only way we can become friends again is if you write me a poem about how OREOS are the world's greatest cookie. no poem, no friendship.

ehasty said...

Kris again: mayonnaise intolerant? please

Amy said...

Eddie-

Ode to Oreos

Oreos are a tasty treat,
I think it's because they taste so sweet.
Eddie loves Oreos and Doritos too,
Eating them together is something you should always do.
Eating both might make you fatter,
but you'll be so happy it won't really matter.
Eddie manages to stay pretty skinny,
but I think it's because he knows you can't eat too many.
This was a poem written for Eddie,
I wish he'd break up with his fiancee so we could go steady!!

(Just kidding Meagan- He's all yours. There's just not too many words that rhyme with Eddie!)

ehasty said...

nice work amy. friends again

Laurie said...

I have a bone to pick with some of you about your "Twix" food items.

- Macaroni and cheese
- Oatmeal cream pies
- Red apples
- Apple juice
- Vanilla ice cream

These are all some of my favorites. They definitely are NOT Twix to me!

I think all of this discussion proves the point I made on Clayton's original post about this: People and things aren't categorically Twix -- for some people they are and for some they are favorites. So the theory is somewhat true, but not equally for everyone and everything.

By the way, I think it's funny that so many people are spending time discussing this absurd topic! :)

Anonymous said...

people don't eat twix because they like the taste, they eat twix because it allows you to stop time and come up with a solution when you F-up....and that is a scientific FACT!!!

Anonymous said...

p.s. you need to click on my name in the above comment to watch the youtube clip, I thought it fit well.

CBF Summer Ministry Interns said...

eddie, this is late, but i have to totally disagree with your potato salad comment, too. i remember a time when i ate what i thought was mashed potatoes from clayton's plate, and i barely made it to the restaurant's bathroom without spitting up in the sink. it was potato salad - not mashed potatoes. potato salad, my friend, is not the equivalent to Twix.

to amy: a Twix actress - maybe kirsten dunst. i mean, i'm not anti-kirsten dunst, nor am i all about her. she's just kinda there; if she's in the move fine and if she's not fine, too.