Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Twix Theory

The Twix Theory, where it all began. So a long time ago I thought of this theory and this was the beginning of it all. The next few posts promise to be more heated and controversial but I felt it was appropriate to begin here.

I love Twix. It is just a solid candy bar. Nothing about it seems to be a turn off. Some candy bars have dark chocolate, which not everyone loves. A lot of commercial chocolate delights have peanuts. Personally I enjoy the salty crunchiness you receive from this inclusion but other people would grossly object. And then of course there is coconut. Seriously… That is a deal breaker.

Back to Twix. Here’s the point. Everyone likes Twix. If you were in a room and saw a Twix, you would eat it. If you were in a store and you saw a Twix you might or might not buy it, it would be a game time decision. But no one sits on their couch watching TV and thinks, “dang, I’m going to get up and go buy a Twix after this episode of House is off.” Most people have their go-to-favorite-candy-snack and no one would place the Twix in this category; even though everyone still really likes Twix. This is a paradox as far as I am concerned.

Let me apply the Twix theory to another aspect of life to expound on my thoughts. There are people who I would say are Twix people. Everyone likes them. If they are present at a gathering it makes the event better and everyone enjoys their company. BUT, if you are sitting at home and you want ONE person to come hang out, or you want to meet someone for dinner, a TWIX is not that person.

So those are my thoughts. I already see some holes in the theory which I plan to correct later in the week. But before that I would love to know your thoughts. Please help me make this work better.

Here are some questions to get your started, but feel free to give your candid comments and thoughtful suggestions.
1. Is Twix right? Is their another candy or food item that fits what I am describing better?
2. Is this wrong? Does this theory stick? Are there inconsistencies?
3. If there are TWIX people… that kind-of sucks.

13 comments:

ehasty said...

So I read the whole Twix blog...and I didn't really see a strong main idea of the posting. Although it was in paragraph form, I it seemed to be a compilation of rambling. Can I have a good, 1 sentence, summary of the Twix idea? I think I get the gyst of it, I just want to be sure.

Clayton Greene said...

The Twix Theory. Twix is a candy bar that everyone likes but is no ones favorite. Everyone would like to eat a twix but won't seek it out like some people do a snickers. It's good, just not any one's favorite.

Anonymous said...

"Personally I enjoy the salty crunchiness you receive from this inclusion but other people would grossly object."

That's what she said!

Oh, crap, is this the wrong blog for that?!?!?

Brent Woodcox said...

I love Twix. I routinely buy Twix when I am at the gas station. You are encouraged to share Twix with others. Twix is a communal experience.

What do you do with new peanut butter Twix?

Laurie said...

Clayton,

I get what you mean by the Twix Theory, but I don't agree completely. You're right about Twix: I like the candy bar fine -- the caramel part is my favorite -- but I wouldn't take a Twix to a desert island. Actually, I wouldn't take any type of candy bar, because I'm more of a milk and cookies kind of girl. Anyway, everyone that reads this is going to be thinking, "I hope I'm not a Twix person." If you're thinking that, you don't have to worry as much as you think.

As someone who wishes she could be close friends with everyone, I've resigned myself to being more realistic. You can't be best friends with thousands of people. You will share natural chemistry with some people and will simply enjoy the company of others. That's simple personality. I don't think we can label specific people as "Twix people" categorically. To some, you might be a Twix person; to others, you're absolutely indispensable.

B-Ho said...

When you find even one person who absolutely loves Twix, the argument kindof falls apart. As Laurie noted, labeling someone a Twix is subjective. They may be a Twix to you, but not to someone else. If you claim that they absolutely are a Twix, then you're saying everyone must agree with you, and that your opinion is the only correct one. It's like playing God. And that's blasphemy. And blasphemy sends you to Hell.

So maybe its safer to just say that eating Twix is is a sin.

JDVz said...

The peanut butter TWIX is not new. I have been enjoying peanut butter twix since high school and it is far superior to a classic caramel twix.

I don't like how the caramel sticks in your teeth. Peanut butter is way more smooth.

And stop letting people post anonymously.

Amy said...

i have heard that twix candy bars are one of the most unhealthy candy bars out there...so does this coorelate to twix people too?

Anonymous said...

Sorry...from now on I will post un-anonymously...I was just waiting for someone to come ask me to particpate in the blog...I'm kind of a Twix blogger.

Actually I didn't explore the 'choose an identity feature', so I didn't know how to post the comment with my name until just now.

Brent Woodcox said...

The Twix people example has become a total distraction. This theory works much better with other better examples you have recapped in the past. The beauty of the theory is that it can be applied to so many different situations. You should give some more examples to demonstrate the theory's diversity.

Andrew said...

I think maybe instead of Twix, we should rename the theory - the Arby's Theory.

JDVz said...

I think that the Arby's theory is totaling different. It applies to friends who used to be really cool and be lots of fun (like when they chicken tenders and pick 5 for $5 dollars) but now are just (overpriced) has beens.

But every once in a while you think, man I really want to hang out with "Arby" only to wind up pissed that you paid $10.00 for a fast food sandwich you didn't really want and soggy curly fries.

Birdman said...

I think an additional variable that has not yet been mentioned is that of the correlation of distance to a person's twixiness. If a twix bar is sitting right there next to me, then I'm probably going to eat it. If however, the twix bar is down the street - not going to happen. I propose then that distance may be a driving factor that forces twixability on those, who in a scenario of closer proximity, would not be considered a twix friend.
I also think that we must mention that a twix candy bar (disregarding the "minis" for the time being) is a breed of candy that contains two bars in one package. Now the mass may be equivalent to that of a Snickers or Milky way, but we can not..no should not ignore, that even if the twix is of a lesser quality, there is that moment where one thinks, "Yum, that was pretty good, hey, wait a second, there is another bar!!?!" Perhaps that summarizes a twix friend, not of the highest quality for now, but they always have more to offer.